Monday, May 9, 2011

An Excellent Derby Weekend.



Allyson and I

At the track

This Kentucky Derby weekend was non-stop!  From Oaks on Friday, to Derby, to Mother's Day it was indeed an action packed weekend.  We attended Oaks on Friday and had an amazing time.  Despite the weather forecast it truly turned out to be an amazing day.  We kicked off the day at a pre-Oaks party filled with Mimosa's and shrimp cocktail...does it really get better than that?  The mint juleps and lady oaks ran plentiful at the track, and the people watching was phenomenal.  I just love the pageantry of it all...everyone is dressed in their best and the creativity of the hats is an entity all itself.  I got my hat from Macy's, however spiced it up with a vintage broach I purchased the day before (and my first experience with the clip on earrings that matched - ouch!) and some feathers I picked out at Dee's Crafts.  That place was a madhouse to say the least.  I guess that's what I get for going the day before.  After Oaks we returned home, let the doggies out, and then headed to Cafe Lou Lou for some Jambalaya.  We closed the day with a fire in the fire pit and drinks on the patio.  It was a pretty great day!


Twin Spires!

Irises along the house
Saturday was full of recovery and an all out Euchre brawl with Mom and Mike.  (For those non-Indiana folks, Euchre is a game similar to Spades, but way better)  I'm so proud to report the ladies pulled through with a 4-1 victory!  It was heated and lots of fun. 


Roaming Rigby
Mother's Day itself was full of good old fashion farm fun.  Fishing - I caught two!  Soaking up some rays outside, and letting the dogs stretch their legs with plenty of fetch.  Rigby only fell in the pond once this time...about an hour after she'd had a full bath.  Why can't she be prissy?  I even bought her pink bows for her hair.  I guess I'll never get my foo foo dog. 









No comments:

Post a Comment