Monday, March 7, 2011

Cultural Observations

Me at the famous Fish Market
Skyline driving away from the city
Fish Throwers!
Mount Rainier Brewery
When traveling alone I think it's easy to jump into "people watch" mode.  In my latest trip to Seattle I arrived at around 7pm PST, and needed to take the hotel shuttle to my hotel.  Also waiting for the shuttle along with a few other individuals was a group of young Japanese girls, maybe 8 or so of them.  They looked to be early twenties, and traveling for fun as they had numerous shopping bags and were appearing to have a very fun time.  (I knew they were Japanese as I heard one of them answer her phone "Mush Mush").  They were the first to board, and took up the first several rows on one side of the shuttle.  I boarded next, sitting a few rows back on the opposite side.  The shuttle was filling up pretty quickly, and the only rows that remained were in the very back.  Last to board was a group of 3 elderly women and their younger grandson, one of them was extremely frail and needed assistance stepping up.  I watched the group of Japanese girls immediately rise as a group, and offer up their seats to the women.  Without looking at one another, without any word at all, the entire group of these girls got up and moved to the back of the shuttle.  I'm not sure why this struck such a chord with me, but it occurred to me that very few, if any American kids would've done this.  Or done so immediately and without conferring as a group.  The grandson, who looked to be around 12, didn't even look back.  He boarded before them and sprinted to the back of the bus without a glance.  I then pondered the cultural differences all the way back to the hotel.  It was so apparent that different values had been instilled in these girls.  I know Asian culture places great emphasis on respecting your elders, but what impressed me the most is these girls were in a different country, and none of "their" elders were around.  I then had a conversation with Michael about what had happened later that night.  I think so many American kids have a sense of entitlement and are for lack of a better word, punks.  A lot of parents turn a blind eye to it, making matters worse.  I'm not sure when it happened.  I don't remember being a punk, I don't remember any of my friends being punks growing up.  I feel like somewhere in the last 20 years something has culturally shifted for the worse  in this country.

Rigby the reindeer, hanging with Dad
Pete using his toy as a pillow
On a brighter note, I had a terrific time in Seattle meeting new colleges and universities.  I got to experience the nightlife in downtown Seattle and go to the famous Market along the bay.  It was a neat experience seeing them throw the fish, very lively.  The geography in Washington is absolutely beautiful.  I don't think I would enjoy the climate, but the mountains, trees, and air is amazing.   I am excited to go back next week and spend some time with a long lost friend that moved there about 5 years ago.  I'll still be working, but have plans to see her one night.  I'm looking to enjoying more local fare.  I was also very happy to get back home and see Michael and the pets.  I think Rigby has again doubled in size.  Her legs are getting so long, she looks like a reindeer!

No comments:

Post a Comment